Public Works Specialist Certification Program
When & How
About the Training Program
Information for the upcoming session: Registration will be open March 18, 2021 through April 9, 2021, with classes starting April 19, 2021. Registrations must be received before 5:00 PM on April 9, 2021 (registration received after 5PM PST will be held until the next semester). NEW CLASS OFFERED: Plans Interpretation and Cost Estimating
MSA offers online courses to promote affordable education and information. The program has 15 difference courses.
The successful completion of 6 courses is needed to obtain the Public Works Technician Certification.
The successful completion of 12 courses is needed to obtain the Public Works Specialist Certification.
Each student is required to complete and sign a Student Code of Conduct & Scholastic Ethics form.
Tuition is $85 for each course, this includes tuition, credit card processing fee and all necessary material. The 12-week program consists of weekly modules (lesson plan) discussed during online meetings with your instructor and classmates. Your assigned MSA instructor will contact you with program information and link to the online meeting. Tuition must be paid before class is assigned. If paying by check, mail to: MSA c/o Lory Warren, Education Director, PO Box 35951, Tuscon, AZ 85740.
If you are a new student, it is necessary to take the “Introduction to Public Works” course first. After that you may take any of the courses offered in any order. There are normally three semesters a year and you can take multiple classes if class timings do not conflict.
Class size is a minimum of 4 students and maximum size of 10. After the registration period, students are assigned an instructor who sets the online meeting dates/times.
Below are the courses with a brief description:
- This class is the prerequisite to all other courses offered. The reasoning behind that is because this class touches on a broad variety of topics relevant to the Public Works Industry. From the history of roads to traffic control and storm-water. From Supervision to Inspections as well as safety, quantity calculations, sweeping, drainage, concrete and asphalt. This course will hopefully spark an interest in a specific area of training that you are looking for.
- This course teaches you specific skills in how to lead. It teaches you skills in Communications both written and oral, Scheduling, Training, Corrective Action, Evaluations, and more.
- This course covers asphalt and concrete pavement construction and maintenance as well as budgeting, safety and codes.
- A course in Inspections is vital to a future as a Public Works Inspector. We cover the role of the inspector, the relationship between the Inspector and the Contractor. We get into the specifics of Plans, Special Provisions, Standards and Contract Specifications. This course also covers the topics of Change Orders, Documentation and record keeping, Prosecution of the work and Acceptance of contract work.
- This class covers design, construction, placement compaction and identification of defects and corrective measures. We also cover safety as it applies to delivering and placing these materials.
- This course is designed for every level contract administrator. Through this course, you will examine the contract administration process and best practices that help enable the achievement of public procurement goals. The material with the course focuses on common contract administration functions that must be successfully performed and the outcomes associated with them.
- This is an advance class covering the construction of concrete structures and the inspection of bridges, culverts from site preparation to steel placement, excavation, falsework and the technology associated with them.
- Specific skills needed to work with trees within the right-of way. This course covers the anatomy & psychology of trees, as well as cabling, soils management, root structure and its effects on infrastructure. We teach you about irrigation, pruning and fertalizing. This course will prepare you for Tree Workers Certification Exam
- Overview of stormwater environmental issues in Public Works. Topics include Clean Water Act, EPA, Regional Water Quality Control Boards, watershed management and effect on water runoff. Construction Impact, Low Impact Designs, Maintenance Impacts, Enforcement Regulatory Authorities, and related issues.
- This course covers topics relevant to Public Works, such as Excavation, trenches, tunnels, rock drilling, equipment, flammable vapors and toxic substances. We also go into detail about the relationship between the employer and the employee as it relates to safety on the job.
- This course will provide you with the information you need to be ability to read and interpret plans. You will learn how to estimate time, materials, labor and equipment needed to successfully complete Public Works Projects.
- This course will give you a great awareness and appreciation for the design and implementation of devices that protect the worker and the traveling public. - Course not available until March 2020.
Other courses coming soon:
Environmental Management - Coming Soon
- Water quality, watershed management, waste management, air pollution control, and regulatory compliance are all items covered under this course.
Green Infrastructure Construction and Stormwater Management - Coming Soon
- Under this topic you will learn alternative methods for Stormwater management. These practices will enable you to maintain healthy waters, provide environmental benefits and support sustainable communities while providing flood mitigation energy use reduction and air quality management.
Public Administration - Coming Soon
- In the Public Works Sector, upper management positions require specific knowledge planning, financing and tools to build a model Public Works Organization. This course will also discuss the new advancements being made in technology within our industry.
Soils Trenching and Grading - Coming Soon
- The course will cover the identification and classification of soils: the soils suitable for pavements, the various soil tests, and the application of these tests in the construction and maintenance of public works projects to achieve the desired outcome.
- Introduction to Public Works$85$850$0
- Asphalt & Concrete Cement$85$850$0
- Concrete Structures & Insp.$85$850$0
- Contract Administration$85$850$0
- Municipal & Urban Tree Care$85$850$0
- OSHA for Public Works$85$850$0
- Plans Inter. & Cost Estimating$85$850$0
- Public Works Inspections I$85$850$0
- Street Construction & Maint.$85$850$0
- Supervision I$85$850$0
- Traffic Control Standards$85$850$0