The City of Tempe participates in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) Defined Benefit plan with mandatory employer and employee contributions currently at 11.80%. ASRS pension plan includes a Long-Term Disability Benefit. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, sick leave, holiday and short-term disability. Our employees have generous insurance options for medical, dental, vision and life. For more details, visit:http://www.tempe.gov/city-hall/internal-services/human-resources/benefits-summary
This position will perform skilled work in the fabrication, design and layout of City signs, logos and insignias, and assist with the installation and maintenance of traffic signs, markings and roadway striping.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
· Sketch and lay out sign lettering and design according to Federal, State, City and MUTCD (Manual and Uniform Traffic Control Devices) specification and/or project needs;
· Construct and stretch silk screen frames; lay out, hand cut and apply process stencil films for silk screen impressions;
· Cut out sign blanks; prime and prepare surfaces for painting and lettering;
· Hand letter and/or silkscreen lettering, designs and insignias;
· Design and develop signs and graphics using a computer. Produce visual communication materials for special events;
· Operate a variety of specialized equipment such as paint stripers, paint guns, drill presses, fork lifts and bucket trucks.
Requires the equivalent to the completion of twelfth grade supplemented by vocational school or college level coursework in graphics, fine arts, or a degree related to the core functions of this position. An Associate’s degree is preferred.
The term “equivalent” means that directly related work experience exceeding the required work experience will substitute in equal time increments for college-level education, for example: one year of additional directly related work experience will substitute for one year of college education (30 credit hours).
Requires two years of experience in computer graphic design and screen printing production. One year of experience in the installation and maintenance of traffic signs, markings or roadway striping is preferred.
Candidates must have the minimum amount of work experience. Years of experience are based upon a full-time work schedule (2,080 hours per year). The sum of an applicant’s full-time and/or part-time qualifying work experience must meet or exceed the stated minimum qualification. Education will not substitute for the required work experience; however, related unpaid and/or volunteer work experience may be used as qualifying work experience.
Certification, Licenses, and/or Registrations:
· Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
· Possession of or required to obtain within one year of hire the following, International Municipal Signal Association (IMSA) Certifications: Work Zone Temporary Traffic Control Technician, Signs and Pavement Markings Technician Level I & Level II
Successful completion of initial probationary period is contingent upon passing an FBI background investigation. Based on position, referred applicants may be subject to additional testing which may include pre-employment polygraph, physical and drug screening.
This position is FLSA Non-Exempt – eligible for overtime compensation and/or compensatory time.
Employees in this position are represented by the United Arizona Employee Association (UAEA).
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: The City of Tempe is an Equal Opportunity / Reasonable Accommodation employer. The City does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, familial status, age, disability, and United States military veteran status. Pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will make a reasonable accommodation(s) during the recruitment & selection process. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting Human Resources at 480-350-8276. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation.