The City of Monrovia is seeking an experienced, driven, self-starter to be our next Deputy Director of Public Works. We are looking for a leader, motivator, and mentor who is passionate about public service and helping others. This role will oversee the Administration section of the Public Works Department providing highly responsible and complex administrative support ensuring that the development and implementation of department goals, objectives, and procedures are achieved. If you are a resilient problem solver who enjoys challenges, you should apply now!
This position is responsible for a variety of ongoing projects and responsibilities including, but not limited to:
· Provide administrative guidance and supervision to support staff in engineering, environmental services, administration, contract maintenance and customer service;
· Oversee and participate in the development and administration of the department budget;
· Manage and direct the activities related to the City’s refuse collection, recycling, waste diversion, landfill operations, storm drain systems, and groundwater monitoring programs;
· Manage complex capital improvement projects, make recommendations and implement necessary and appropriate changes;
· Make formal presentations to City Council, Commissions, and the general public; and
· Train, supervise, motivate, evaluate, and train personnel.
Any combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge, abilities and skills is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the qualifications would be:
BA/BS in Public or Business Administration, Civil Engineering, or related field, and five (5) years increasingly responsible professional experience in the construction industry, civil engineering field, or public works profession, including two (2) years in a supervisory capacity. MA/MS highly desirable. Experience working with diverse groups and ability to exercise cultural sensitivity and awareness is highly desirable.
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE
Possession of a valid California Driver’s License and a good driving record; American Red Cross certifications in C.P.R. / First Aid and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Essentials.