This position is assigned to the Concrete and Asphalt Crew. The ideal candidate for the Public Works Maintenance Worker Ill must be responsible and have a strong personal and work character. The candidate must be reliable and confident in the stated skills with a teamwork and a safety minded philosophy. The candidate should have the ability to work independently or as part of a team/crew and follow directions consistently and thoroughly. The candidate should have the knowledge and ability to maintain and repair a variety of tools and equipment; and perform a variety of maintenance, construction and repair of streets, sidewalks, curbs and gutters.This positionperforms a variety of semi-skilled and skilled tasks in the construction, maintenance and servicing of City streets, sidewalks, curbs and gutters, landscapes, irrigation systems, traffic systems, signs, and related equipment; and operates and maintains a variety of heavy equipment and hand and power tools and equipment.This is the full journey level class in the Public Works Maintenance Worker series. Positions at this level require demonstrated ability to independently perform the full range of complex maintenance and repair duties.Positions at this level provide instruction and assistance to lower level Public Works Maintenance Workers.REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES:The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.• Performs a variety of maintenance, repair, and construction work on various City facilities, structures, and systems including in the areas of streets, sidewalks, curbs and gutters, landscapes, irrigation systems, traffic systems, signs, and related equipment.• Operates a variety of construction and maintenance heavy equipment and hand tools to perform assigned tasks; maintains and performs minor repairs to assigned equipment, tools, and vehicles.• Conducts traffic control when working in traffic areas of the City; installs street barricades, arrow boards, and cones prior to the performance of maintenance or repair activities; directs and controls traffic around work sites.
• Transports equipment and material to work sites; loads and unloads equipment and materials.• Performs a variety of maintenance duties in the overlay of street surfaces; rakes and spreads asphalt;seals cracks and patches streets; performs pot hole patching and surface repairs using jack hammers to fill and compact repaired areas.• Performs street cuts for excavation and replacement of new asphalt; removes and replaces concrete and asphalt; constructs forms, lays cement and finishes cement on curbs, gutters and sidewalks; performs cement repairs and patch work.• Stripes pavement and paint street legends, cross walks, stop bars, and curbs.• Removes graffiti within the City by various means including painting, pressure washing, and sand blasting.• Prepares, installs, repairs, and replaces City sign posts and signs; cleans and maintains existing signs; trims vegetation that presents safety hazards.• Performs a variety of tasks in the planting, maintaining, trimming, and removal of City owned trees; maintains, trims, prunes, and removes trees; removes broken branches and fallen trees from public streets, sidewalks, drainage ditches, and creeks; cuts limbs and foliage hanging over roads and sidewalks.• Performs various grounds and landscape maintenance duties; plants, waters, trims, prunes, and fertilizes plant materials; installs, programs, adjusts, and maintains irrigation systems to ensure proper operating efficiency; repairs and adjusts sprinkler heads.• Applies herbicides and pesticides for weed abatementand pest control.• Provides courteous customer service; responds to questions and inquiries from the general public regarding various maintenance projects; resolves customer problems or complaints.• Responds to emergency calls for assistance from the public or other agencies and takes appropriate corrective action; identifies and removes potential hazards in the public right of way.• Assists lead worker in overseeing work assignments, training and performance of daily work of less experienced maintenance workers.• Maintains records of basic operations, maintenance, and work performed.• Utilizes proper safety precautions related to all work performed.• Performs related duties as required.QUALIFICATIONS:The following generally describes the knowledge and ability required to enter the job and/or be learned within a short period of time in order to successfully perform the assigned duties.
Knowledge of:• Methods and techniques of general construction, maintenance, and repair related to the area of work assigned.• Operational characteristics of maintenance and construction equipment and tools used in the area of work assigned.• Proper procedures used in the maintenance and repair of hand and power tools.• Practices and procedures of traffic control.• Tree care, pruning, and removal principles and practices.• Materials, methods, terminology, and tools used in the maintenance and repair of streets, sidewalks, curbs, and related systems.• Landscape maintenance and construction materials, methods, terminology, and tools including principles used in the application of chemicals.• Basic methods and techniques of irrigation systemsinstallation and maintenance.• Principles and practices used inthe installation and repair of traffic signs.• City rules, codes and regulations relatingto landscape and irrigation maintenance and repair.• Traffic laws, ordinances and regulations relatingto the operation of assigned equipment.• Principles and practices of record keeping.• Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
• Perform a varietyof maintenance, construction, and repair work in the area of work assigned.
• Ensure safety aroundwork areas in high traffic.
• Perform a varietyof tasks and heavy manuallabor for extendedperiods of time and in unfavorable weather conditions.
• Maintain and repair a varietyof tools and equipment.
• Read maps, blue prints, and diagrams.
• Respond to emergencysituations.
• Resolve day-to-day questions/problems regarding materials, methods and procedures for completing assigned projects.
• Respond courteously and appropriately to inquiries and complaints.
• Ensure adherence to safe work practices and procedures.
• Work independently in the absenceof supervision.
• Maintain records includingtime and materialuse records.
• Safely drive and skillfully operatepower equipment and hand tools involved in public works and landscape maintenance, repair, and construction.
• Understand and carry out oral and writteninstructions.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective professional working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE GUIDELINES
Any combination of education and experience that would likelyprovide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education/Training: Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
Experience:Three years of maintenance and repair experience in the maintenance and repair of street, landscape, and irrigation maintenance including two years of experience comparable to a Public Works Maintenance Worker II with the City of Camarillo.
License or Certificate:Possession of a valid California Class A driver's license with tanker endorsement.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Environment: Outdoor field environment; travel from site to site; exposure to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, noxious odors, gases, mechanical and electrical hazards, and all types of weather and temperature conditions; work in or around water; exposure to hazardous traffic conditions; work and/or walk on various types of surfaces including slippery or uneven surfaces and rough terrain; work at heights; incumbents may be required to respond to emergency and public calls after hours including evenings and weekends.
Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in a field environment; to walk, stand, and sit for prolonged periods of time; to frequently stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb, reach, twist, grasp, and make repetitive hand movement in the performance of daily duties; to climb unusual heights on ladders; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull moderate to heavy amounts of weight; to operate assigned equipment and vehicles; and to verbally communicate to exchange information.